About the Department:
The department of mechanical engineering has been in existence ever since the college had its inception in 1998. The department offers B.Tech in Mechanical Engineering and M.Tech in Thermal Engineering. The B.Tech program had its initiation in the year 1998 and the present intake is 120. The M.Tech program is initiated in the year 2010 and the present intake is 6. The B.Tech Program is accredited by National Board of Accreditation (NBA) under Tier-1. The department is recognised as research centre under JNTUK- Kakinada. Good number of research scholars are working under the department faculty for their doctoral degree. The Department has good infrastructure in terms of the state-of-the art laboratories, workshops and computer centres as required for UG and PG programmes. The department has MOUs with various industries and organizations. Dassult 3D experience centre and applied robotic control (ARC) laboratories are established in the department by Andhra Pradesh State Skill Development Corporation (APSSDC). Also the department has Cognitive research centre, Ansys Skill Development centre, ISHRAE students’ chapter, Automobile Club, and Robotics Club. The department has sponsored projects worth of rupees 1.2 Crores to its credit funded by various government organisations.
The department has 34 well qualified and experienced faculty in thermal, design and production streams with 9 doctorates and the rest M.Tech. 13 faculty are actively pursuing Ph.D in different Universities and NITs. The faculty are engaged in research activities (including funded projects) in their areas of specialisation to contribute the knowledge transfer in their respective fields. Numerous research papers, patents, books and book chapters have been published at national and international level. The Department frequently organizes guest lectures by eminent professors across India and abroad, scientists from various research organisations and experts from industries to bridge the gap between academia and industry. Faculties are encouraged in improving their academic skills and also in getting expertise by attending different FDPs, online courses, workshops and conferences.
The department encourages students to participate in training programs, workshops, online courses, competitions; industrial visits in addition to internships, mini and major projects to meet the requirements of employment, teaching-learning process and entrepreneurship. Also students are motivated to actively participate in various co-curricular and extracurricular activities for their overall development. The Department organizes various skill development programs for students to broaden their knowledge horizon.
- Frequent updation of curriculum for PG and UG courses, by taking inputs from industries, research organizations, premier institutions, software establishments, alumni and eminent persons timely to meet the requirements of industry, higher learning and entrepreneurship.
- To organize seminars, workshops and conferences in different areas and to contribute significant knowledge transfer by industry-institute interaction.
- To organize frequently the employment enhancement programs for the benefit of the students.
- To introduce new PG programs in specialised areas of mechanical engineering such as robotics, cognitive science, advanced materials engineering and automobile engineering.
- To establish high quality research centres of excellence in all areas of mechanical engineering and also to offer full time Ph.D programs.